Top food blogs

Translate

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Oreo Truffles

Oreo Truffles
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
As you all already know, I have got an insane obsession with cookies. Anything in cookie form is just amazing taken to a whole new level. Of course, I have learned that I have to limit my sweet intake because it has gotten out of control lately. This means I no longer buy cookies. You see, I have no self discipline. If I buy a package of cookies, I will eat the whole package. Now, I don't mean that I'll eventually eat the whole package; I mean that if you give me a package of cookies, I am completely willing to destroy the whole thing in a matter of minutes. No joke. The joy I get as I devour cookies . . . You can only imagine my excitement when I realized that we had a whole sale package of Oreos sitting at the top of the pantry. They were just calling my name. I got the brilliant idea of making truffles. I have a few friends that make these amazing little mashed up Oreo and cheese balls that they call truffle. OH MY GOD are they amazing. If I ever go into diabetic shock, blame them. Now, I never actually expected them to be easy to make so I tried them. The first time I made them I used lollipop sticks and made them cake pop style. I also used white candy coating. They were a mess. I put way to much cream cheese (The Paula Deen in me) and they just wouldn't hold together. When I dipped them, they fell of the stick and I ended up with this goopey mess. Don't get me wrong, they were amazing flavor wise, but not so much presentation wise. In fact, they were just ugly. They looked like those Pintrest gone wrong pictures. I left them alone for awhile, and a few days a go I decided to give it another shot. I weighed the cream cheese and pulverized the life out of the Oreos. I made sure to freeze them for a little so the dough was easier to work with and I just used plain old chocolate chips for the coating. The results: ToDieForAmazingLittleBundlesOfJoy. They were just a pure work of art. You take a bite and the thin chocolate coating has a nice little bite to it. You get the perfect balance between the milk chocolate and the thin dark chocolate drizzle. Then, you taste the inside. The Oreo is just a perfect almost creamy consistency. Its rich, its creamy, and a beautiful balance. One is never enough. You will eat all of them. You will get sick of them, but you will still get up and make more when you see the Tupperware in the fridge quickly emptying out. Take a little extra time and make 'em pretty. Pack 'em up and take 'em as a gift. A marriage proposal is definitely something that will follow. These are to die for. I'm dead serious. No pun intended.

Ingredients:

17 oz Oreos (Usually a package, DON'T USE DOUBLE STUFF)
4 oz Cream Cheese (Decrease to 3 oz if using double stuff)
1 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips (or Use any chocolate you like)
1/4 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (You can use any chocolate)
1 tbsp and 1 tsp Vegetable Shortening or Vegetable Oil

Directions:
Smash the life out of the Oreos. Personally, I don't like leaving any texture in them, so I throw them in the food processor until I get a fine sand. Dump them in with the cream cheese. To make it easier, soften it for 15 seconds in the microwave. Now, do not use a spoon for this step. Get your hands dirty. Mix the Oreos with the cream cheese until you have to no white spots of cheese visible. You want a cookie dough like texture.
Throw the bowl into the freezer for 15 minutes until the dough is little easier to work with. For this next step I find it easier to use a cutting board and knife.
Take the dough and roll it into rectangle or log like circle (makes perfect sense). Cut the dough in half. Then cut each half in half. You should have 4 pieces now. Cut each one in half and then each one of those in half again. You should end up with 16 truffles. Roll them into nice little balls and put them on tray lined with wax paper. Throw them in the freezer for like 15 minutes, until they are easier to dip in chocolate. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate with the veggie shortening until you have a thin consistency. Take the truffles out and roll them nicely as they will flatten a little on the tray. Dump each individual one into the chocolate and use a spoon to take it out and let the excess drip off. Put them on the tray and stick them in the freezer so the chocolate hardens. Melt the dark chocolate, put it in a Ziploc baggie, and snip a tiny corner off. Drizzle it on the truffles and place in the freezer till it hardens enough to take off the wax paper and put in individual mini muffin cups. Store in a closed Tupperware in the fridge for up to a week - if they last that long.

1 comment:

MOV said...

You are like Martha Stewart, but nicer and funnier. I am kind of drooling after reading about those Oreo chocolate truffles. *swoon*

I will be back! Thanks!

xxo
MOV

Post a Comment