Top food blogs

Translate

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Sahlab (Middle Eastern Milk Pudding)

Sahlab (Middle Eastern Milk Pudding)
Prep. Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total: 15 Minutes
Our weather is extremely bipolar. The other day I went to class at 12:15 pm. When I went to class, it was 64 degrees. It was sunny. It was beautiful. Again, it was 64 degrees. I left class at 1:45 pm. I walked down the stairs and opened the doors to head out to the train. An immense wind hit me, and if it weren't for the fact that my backpack weighs more than I do, I would have flew. It was cold. My fingers literally were stuck in place and my nose was already numb. I looked at my phone, and it was 13 degrees. Thats right, 13 degrees. I had not even brought a jacket because I had expected it to stay warm all day. By the time I got to the train I was numb. After I got on the train and the heat hit me, and my legs began to sting. It was as if I was defrosting. Oh. My God. So now, I will carry a jacket. Even if it's 80 degrees, because you never know!
On days like this I like to cuddle up on the couch and read a book. I absolutely love reading and I usually have at least 10 books checked out at once. At least it's a good habit, right? You know what's even better than sitting next to the fireplace and reading? Sitting next to the fireplace and reading while you eat Sahlab. I am totally amazing at multitasking. Make this Sahlab, and I am sure that you as well will master the art of multitasking.
This warm pudding is a slightly sweetened and thickened milk. You get a slight flavor from the mastic, and hint of sweetness from the sugar. The cornstarch thickens this pudding just enough. The toppings just put this pudding on a whole new level. The walnut adds a nice little crunch and nuttiness to the richness of this pudding. The coconut balances the richness by adding a slightly fresh and tropical flavor. Then, you have the ground cinnamon. This adds a warmth. It makes this pudding holiday worthy, winter worthy. It adds a slight sharpness to this pudding. When you get a bite of it all you have the perfect combination of textures and flavors. This pudding is truly heaven.

Ingredients:

Sahlab
6 Cups Milk (Whole Milk)
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Room Temperature Water
1 Cup Cornstarch
1/4 tsp Ground Mastic (Optional)

Topping
Shredded Coconut
Chopped Walnuts
Ground Cinnamon

Directions:
In a sauce pot, pour the milk and sugar. Heat on medium low, being careful not to scorch the milk. Stir frequently to help the sugar dissolve. In a measuring cup, measure a cup of water. Add the cup of cornstarch and mix well. Have the ground mastic set aside and ready. Also, have 8 cups or bowls, and a ladle ready and set aside. As soon as the milk comes to a slight boil pour in the cornstarch dissolved in water into the milk. Immediately begin stirring and continue to stir for a minute or two or until you pudding thickens and boil. Turn off the heat and add the mastic. Stir it in well and ladle the pudding into the cups or bowls. Top with shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Serve hot. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment