Top food blogs

Translate

Sunday, September 01, 2013

Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Coffee Cake

Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake

Oven Temperature: 350 Degrees
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total: 1 hour 15 minutes
I love my coffee. When I was a kid I remember my dad making a pot of coffee and pouring a cup. He would drink a few sips of it hot and eventually get distracted reading the newspaper. His coffee would get cold, and he would ask me to dump it in the sink and pour him a fresh cup. I loved being trusted with the hot pot of coffee. It made me feel like a big girl. He would then give me a sip of his coffee and tell me, "Only one sip, or you'll be a shortie like your mother." Of course, at 5'9 my mother is not the short one. As the years passed by, I graduated from the tiny sips to tiny little cups of coffee. When I hit 5'8 in the 8th grade, my dad decided I could have whatever coffee I wanted. Of course, that is because I outgrew him in height and he absolutely hated it. You can say that I am probably addicted to coffee. I drink it black. The aroma of a good cup of coffee just makes you want to drink it black. Why should you take away from the delicately bold flavor by drowning it in creamers and various unspeakable amounts of sugar? Black is the way to go, I tell you. And of course, when you give me a cup of coffee, I will ask for a slice of coffee cake to go with it. After you give me a slice of coffee cake, I will remember there is a whole cake in the kitchen. I will find the cake. I will eat the cake. I will enjoy the cake.
The batter to this cake is a slightly thicker one. As it bakes, the cake becomes moist and slightly dense. A ribbon of cinnamon sugar swirls through the center of the cake, making it not only beautiful, but flavorful. The sharpness of the cinnamon and the sweetness of the sugar counteract perfectly to the lightly sweetened dense cake. Then you get to the crumb topping. Bits are crunchy and sweet, while other bits are soft and moist. You get the crisp of the cooked sugar, and the sharpness of the cinnamon. The butter just blends the flavors together and you have the perfect crumb topping. This cake is seriously to die for. If you don't drink coffee, you will begin to crave it with this amazingly cinammony dense cake. And, if you already love coffee, your coffee moments will be transformed from "ahhhhh" doses to "AHHHHHHHH, OH MY GODDDDDDD" doses. Make this cake. Eat this cake. You will appreciate having to read all this. It is definitely worth it. Enough said.

Ingredients:

Crumb Topping
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
3/4 Cup Cold Butter (Cubed)

Cinnamon Swirl
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg

Cake
2 Cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Butter (Softened)
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Full Fat Sour Cream (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE WITH LOW FAT)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and butter and flour a tube pan.
Start by combining all of the crumb topping ingredients, except for the butter. Whisk the ingredients together so they are combined. Cut the butter into the crumb mixture as you would if this were a pastry. Use a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands. You are looking for a sand like texture where the butter is incorporated. You do not want chunks of butter. Set aside.
Now mix the cinnamon swirl by just mixing all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
For the cake, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl cream the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to mix well in between. Now, add the vanilla extract and mix until just incorporated. Add half of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Next add the sour cream and mix till combined. Add the remaining half of the flour mixture and mix enough to just combine all the ingredients well.
Pour half the batter into the buttered and floured tube pan. The batter will be thick so you may need to spread it with a spoon. Now, evenly sprinkle the cinnamon swirl all over the top of the batter. Pour the other half of the batter on top of the cinnamon swirl and spread evenly. Now, evenly pour the cinnamon crumb mixture on the top of the cake. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the pan on a rack until completely cool. Take the cake out of the pan and place on a plate. Generously sprinkle powdered sugar all over the cake. Slice and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment